I’m a little late to blogging this, but here is the list of the top 10 Game Studies findings, presented at the Game Developers Conference by Ian Bogost, Mia Consalvo and Jane McGonigal.
The audience voted on the papers in order of importance, and my own Fear of Failing came in at #5.
The session slides are here.
10. Stewart Woods: “(Play) Ground rules: The social contract and the magic circle”.
9. Jose Zagal and Amy Bruckman: “Novices, gamers, and scholars: Exploring the challenges of teaching about games”.
7. Charlie Breindahl: “Play to win or win to play? The material culture of gaming”.
6. Gareth Schott: “Relating the pleasures of violent game texts”.
5. Jesper Juul: “Fear of failing: The many meanings of difficulty in video games”.
4. Matt Barton: “How’s the weather: Simulating weather in virtual environments”.
3. Betsy James DiSalvo, Kevin Crowley and Roy Norwood: “Learning in context: Digital games and young black men”.
2. Michael Nitsche: “Video game spaces: Image, play, and structure in 3D worlds”.
1. Susana Tosca & Lisbeth Klastrup: “Because it just looks cool!’ Fashion as character performance—the case of WoW”.